The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has rejected the call by the Labour Party for the sack of its Chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, over the outcome of the 2023 general election.
In a statement on Thursday, the Chief Press Secretary to INEC Chairman, Mr. Rotimi Oyekanmi, said the Labour Party’s demand was “ridiculous” and “without any basis.”
Oyekanmi said that the election was conducted in a free, fair, and credible manner and that there was no evidence of any wrongdoing by INEC.
You May Also Like
- Looting Spree: APC-Led Senate Approves Tinubu N500bn Request to Provide Palliatives
- BIG STORY: Yakubu Mahmoud damns Nigeria’s Judiciary; IREV FCT’s Results Disabled
He added that the Labour Party was free to challenge the results of the election in court, but that there was no justification for calling for Yakubu’s sack.
The Labour Party had earlier called for Yakubu’s sack, alleging that he was biased in favor of the All Progressives Congress (APC).
However, Oyekanmi said that the Labour Party’s allegations were “baseless” and that Yakubu had conducted himself in a professional and impartial manner.
He said that INEC was committed to ensuring that all political parties have a level playing field in the 2023 general election.