The purported terrorist attack on the Peoples Democratic Party’s (PDP) presidential candidate, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, in Yola, Adamawa, should be investigated, according to the PDP.
Debo Ologunagba, the PDP’s national publicity secretary, issued a statement in Abuja that contains the call.
The reported foiled terrorist attempt against Abubakar, the PDP’s presidential candidate, and other crucial locations in Yola, Adamawa, and Ologunagba terrified the party.
He stated that the plot bore the “pawmarks of a sponsored attempt on the life of Abubakar” based on the confessions of the suspects who were apprehended.
“In the interest of our nation’s security, unity, and well-being, our party demands that Inspector-General of Police Olukayode Egbetokun follow the lead given by the attackers’ confession to find their financiers and bring them to justice.
“We also call on the Federal Government to make sure that the villains behind the heinous act and their financiers are brought to justice.
The country needs to pay attention to this probe because of the size and extent of the attempted attack.
At this crucial juncture in Nigeria’s democratic process, Ologunagba urged security authorities to increase security around Abubakar and his family.
In stopping the attack, he praised the attentive Yola residents’ and security services’ coordinated efforts.
Ologunagba pleaded with Nigerians to maintain their composure as officials launched an inquiry to find those responsible for the nefarious plot.
According to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), the police in Adamawa detained four people on Sunday who they believe to be Boko Haram members as part of a plot to attack Abubakar’s home.
This was confirmed to journalists by SP Suleiman Nguroje, the command spokesperson, on Monday in Yola.
He claimed that while one of the suspects was apprehended by the security detail stationed at Abubakar’s residence, the other was apprehended somewhere else in the state capital.
“A 29-year-old guy who was one of the suspects admitted to being a Boko Haram member from Damboa in Borno.
He attempted to carry out the attack on Sunday night at 9 o’clock but was stopped at the gate of Abubakar’s house.
“They said they were sent to study the house, institutions, and some sensitive places for an attack,” he said.
Nguroje claimed that the suspects had been given to military authorities for further action. (NAN)
READ ALSO: Nigeria Has Failed the World – Obasanjo
BIG STORY: INEC Disabling FCT Results